” Monad ” is the codename for a command line interface in development as part of Microsoft’s Windows Longhorn project. It includes many features from traditional Unix shells, as well as object-oriented concepts. Monad has grown to become a real, tangible, product—now called Windows PowerShell.
I was going through some of the blogs and articles to find out some anwers for basic questions “
Q : What it can do and how a administrator who manages the tasks on windows server can get the benefit out of it ?
Answer is very simple :
We can automate all the administrative task that are done on the windows servers with the help of the powershell Like : Exchange 2007 , Active Directory , File System , Windows events logs and some of the enterprise focused tasks . I will be writing all the test that we are doing constantly on the windows servers other enterprise-focused tasks .
Powershell Architecture :
We can’t really tell from just looking at its character-based interface, but PowerShell itself is actually quite a sophisticated piece of engineering. Like designers wanted to replace the traditional Windows Command-Line Interface (CLI or DOS ) with something better which can do some following things :
Something that combines the expressive power of previous CLI implementations
Rich composition ability of UNIX shells
Ability to manipulate objects that represent things in the system, as opposed to mere text on screen.
PowerShell Capability :
It is really revolutionizing the world of system management and command-line shells . Its going to be really a nice tool for learning the basics of programming on the windows machines. This shell grows with learners and administators . Lets get into the capability of it :
- It works with standard Windows commands and applications
- It offers many improvement over the command line usage : cmdlets
- It understand objects ( Like PowerShell uses WinRM to send commands remotely to other Exchange servers on the network )
- It caters to administrators becuase of if its interactivity .
- It Support discovery we can learn and discover almost anything PowerShell has to offer .
- It enable ubiquitous scripting & let you automate tasks with ease.
- It bridges many technologies by working with .NET, COM,WMI, XML, and Active Directory, PowerShell makes working with these previously isolated technologies.
- It simplifies management of data stores from its provider model,we can manage data stores using the same techniques that we already use to manage files and folders .
- It can handle management of ESX servers ( VMware )
I am trying to get some motivation my writing the above points for learning so that i can explore Powershell in best manner .