- SQL Server Profiler is a powerful tool that allows you to capture and analyse events, such as the execution of a stored procedure, occurring within SQL Server.
- This information can be used to identify and troubleshoot many SQL Server-related problems.
- basics of how Profiler works, its core terminology, and how to create and save basic Profiler traces.
One of the things that separate mediocre DBAs from exceptional ones is that exceptional DBAs know how to use the tools available to them effectively.
The SQL Server Profiler can help DBA’S:
• Monitor the activity of the:
- QL Server Database Engine
- Analysis Services -SSAS
- Integration Services -SSIS
- Reporting Services -SSRS
- Monitor and identify performance-related problems with front-end application, queries,T-SQL, transactions, and much more
- Monitor and identify SQL Server errors and warning
- Audit user activity
- Analyse trace results by grouping or aggregating them
- Create your own custom traces, and save them, for use whenever you wish
We will also cover profiler terminology like:
• Data columns
Also we will be working with traces and templates and learn:
• How to build custom traces from scratch
• How to Save Profiler traces to a SQL Server Table
• How to trace Analysis Services activity
After the end of this course , you will know why Profiler is such an essential tool in the DBA’s armoury, and will Understand
- how Profiler works
- Be familiar with core Profiler terminology, such as events, data columns, filters and traces
- Understand the permissions required to use Profiler and how to start up Profiler
- Be able to create and control basic Profiler traces and then save a completed trace to a file.